Okay, there are just some things that do not, and should not, go together. Lately I’ve had similar conversations with colleagues and friends about the disgusting foods that are always served at gatherings, mostly church related–potlucks, weddings, funerals, graduation parties… Having grown up with an Irish mother I avoided having to eat most of these in my own home, but a church potluck reminded me of a few of my least favorites this morning:
- The most disgusting: Jello, particularly jello mixed with cool whip, with VEGETABLES in it. Gross! Fruit is weird, particularly pears, but celery???? I accidentally ate some this morning and was totally grossed out.
- Ham buns. For those of you who might not be familiar with a ham bun, it’s a slab of ham on a dinner roll. Not so bad in and of itself. However, the traditional ham bun is served with the roll (both sides) slathered in butter. And, lately I’ve seen a few with melted, processed cheese spread. Ick.
- Sugar sandwiches and peanut butter/butter sandwiches. This may have just been my grade school and high school, but wow…a sugar sandwich consists of bread, butter and sugar, and the peanut butter at our school was always mixed 1 to 1 with butter.
- Sloppy joes with potato chips on top. I don’t so much mind the taste of a sloppy joe, but handling one is usually treacherous at best. And potato chips on top just puts it over the edge for me.
- Pretzel/jello dessert. This is jello perversion that is second only to celery. There’s a layer of pretzels in a dessert, under jello. “Don’t they get soggy?” you ask. Yes! Soggy pretzels? Gross.
- I don’t know what to call it other than a food pile-up. People (my very own family members included) mix together corn, applesauce, mashed potatoes, and sometimes a piece of meat. Ick, ick, ick. Give me a divided, plastic plate anytime.
I’m sure I’ve missed a few, but these are my top offenders. Feel free to add to the list.